JOB SUMMARY: Reporting to the Outreach Center Program Coordinator, the Outreach Specialist will perform work involving the care and treatment of individuals experiencing severe and persistent mental illness and provide positive rehabilitative influence. The Outreach Specialist will work as a member of the Outreach Center for the purpose of supporting adults during their engagement with the Outreach Center. The role of the Outreach Specialist is to help facilitate the mentoring relationships by offering strategies to cope, role modeling positive relationships, and strategies to improve socialization within peer supported relationship. The Outreach Specialist will serve as a member advocate, will have good organizational skills, demonstrate professionalism, and excellent community skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology, social work, human services, or sociology required.
- Minimum of one year experience working with individuals with mental illness and/or substance use disorders.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Capable of working collaboratively and cooperatively in a team environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
A DAY IN THE LIFE AS AN OUTREACH SPECIALIST AT VALLEY PACKAGING INDUSTRIES:
- Plans and facilitates groups related to mental health, social skills, relationships, independent living skills, vocational activities, etc.
- Assists members with planning outreach events, recreational outings, volunteer activities, and social events.
- Makes referrals for individuals who require intervention to appropriate mental health agencies. Assists in referrals to other area agencies (housing, food, clothing, financial assistance, etc.).
- Communicates timely with guardians, parents, case managers, resource workers, group home staff, members, and other community agencies to facilitate mutual program planning.
- Assists in assessment and evaluation to determine member’s needs and progress relative to set goals.
- Documents observations relating to actions and behaviors and maintains clinical records of services provided to meet Medicaid billable standards.
- Continuously expands knowledge of community resources, services and programs available to participants and builds ongoing relationships with these organizations to advocate for members.
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance, works weekend hours, overtime/extra hours as required.
- Provides outreach to the community to inform them of Valley Packaging Industries and Outreach Center services.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Work performed is generally within the light range as defined by the United States Department of Labor.
Pay Rate: $16/hour
VPI, Inc., a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization provides a variety of community programs and services – including education, early intervention, employment, mental health, and social and recreational services – and packaging solutions to the Fox Cities and surrounding areas. By providing efficient contract packaging and production services to private industry, with an integrated workforce, VPI has been able to deliver community programing and services to support the changing needs of community members with disabilities or disadvantages.